Wilbur Miller

Home Forums General Discussion Wilbur Miller

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Found out recently through Wayne Gardner and Kenny McClain (a couple of all -rounders and lifters from waaaay back) that Wilbur Miller is in a nursing home. Through a little detective work I have found out where he is at. I’m going to send him a card. If you feel the same I’ll share his address and the phone number to the nursing facility where he’s at. When I called he was resting. The nurse couldn’t tell me much for confidentiality reasons but she did say that it was “long term”. My Uncle Wayne and Wilbur had some epic battles back in the day. Wilbur always came out on top in the overall but my Uncle Wayne never lost on the Clean and Press. I first met Wilbur in person in 1984 at an all-round meet at Sailors Gym in Wichita, KS. Later I did an article on him for MILO magazine and after a Highland Games in Wichita I traveled to his home in Medicine Lodge. Met him a couple of times at the Dino Gym and a couple of times at Clarks Gym. Always a friendly, humble, stand up guy.

Wilbur Miller
        c/o Botkin Care and Rehab
        102 W. Botkin St.
        Wellington, KS 67152
        (620) 326 7437

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

Thanks for that info Thom, Will be sure to send him something.
          Et

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Denny Habecker
          Participant

I sent him a card today.

Lance Foster
            Participant

Are there any updates on Wilbur? My card was returned with ‘does not live here’ on the envelope.

The Gloved One

dhahn
              Participant

I got word today from Ken McClain that Wilbur passed away on Wednesday, August 5 at the age of 87. He had been suffering from Parkinson’s. His obituary is online at Cornejo Day Funeral Home in Wellington, Kansas.
                https://www.cornejodayfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Wilbur-D-Miller?obId=17778887#/celebrationWall

Lance Foster
                Participant

RIP Wilbur.

The Gloved One

Ben Edwards
                  Participant

I sent him a letter a few weeks before he passed. I met him at the Dino Gym and was very impressed with his strength and of course had heard a few great stories of his deadlifting prowess. RIP Wilbur.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.